The Country Club of Virginia was founded in 1908 by a group of area Club presidents who envisioned a club with excellent amenities to rival those of the Northeast. The Westhampton property was chosen for its sweeping western views of the James River and its proximity to the street car stop. In the 1920's the Club obtained the property at the James River location and built what is today their championship course. The Tuckahoe Creek course was added as a nine-hole facility in the 60's and was expanded to 18 in 1988. CCV has honored a commitment to excellence and remains Richmond's premiere social and golf club.
The Country Club of Virginia offers three distinctly different golf courses designed by noted course architects Donald Ross, William Flynn, and Joe Lee. The James River facility offers 36 holes of golf and the Westhampton 18 holes. The celebrated James River Course has hosted numerous championships including the Southern Amateur Championship and the 1955 and 1975 National U.S. Amateur Championship. Accompanying the courses are three practice facilities and two short game areas. The PGA Professional Staff offers golf instruction that incorporates the latest in video and launch monitor technology catering to all levels of golfers from the novice to the accomplished player.