The Coaches vs. Cancer program started in 1993 as a nationwide collaboration between the American Cancer Society and the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) to empower college basketball coaches, their teams, and their local communities to make a difference in the fight against cancer.
The program has expanded on that concept and grown to include school and league teams at all levels and from all sports. From basketball courts to soccer fields and from football fields to running tracks, now any coach and team can be a part of the Coaches vs. Cancer program.
The program leverages the personal experiences, community leadership, and professional excellence of coaches nationwide to increase cancer awareness and promote healthy living through year-round awareness efforts, fundraising activities, and advocacy programs.
Coaches are given the unique opportunity to lead their team members, students, alumni, and local fans in the fight against cancer. Coaches can draw upon their talents to encourage and inspire a team, resulting in everyone involved sharing the importance of cancer prevention, early detection, and making healthy lifestyle choices. By helping to spread awareness, raise funds and support those who've been affected by cancer, Coaches vs. Cancer participants are making a difference.
If you are a coach looking to get involved in your community and make a difference for a meaningful cause, the Coaches vs. Cancer program is for you. There are various ways you can use your voice and leadership to help fight cancer:
- Participate in events to raise funds and awareness to support Coaches vs. Cancer and the American Cancer Society.
- Serve as a spokesperson to heighten visibility of the resources, services, and support the Coaches vs. Cancer program and the American Cancer Society.
- Advocate for responsible public policy issues related to cancer.
- Increase awareness of the importance of cancer prevention, early detection, and healthy lifestyle choices.
- Raise funds in the fight against cancer to help support the American Cancer Society's lifesaving efforts to eliminate the disease.
Participating coaches, teams, and supporters have raised more than $93 million to fund the American Cancer Society’s mission of helping people with cancer today and finding cures to end the disease tomorrow.
Make a difference and sign-up to participate in a Coaches vs. Cancer event »